Saturday, August 4, 2012

Veggie Fried Rice - Use up those veggies

I love vegetables. I purchase them with good intentions of preparing delicious, fresh vegetable dishes. That doesn't come naturally to me, vegetables were more of an afterthought in our house when I was growing up. A can of corn or green beans, always drenched in butter. I'm not sure why, since most of us love vegetables. Last week, there were great deals on so many fresh vegetables at my local grocery store. I snapped up squash, zuccini, bell peppers, green beans, and a few others. I had good intentions for them, I really did. As I shopped, ideas were popping into my head left and right. But, almost a week later, I'd used less than half of them. Determined not to let them go to waste, I decided to make veggie fried rice, since I also had leftover rice in my fridge. It was delicious. I often make extra rice for the purpose of making fried rice. Left over meat and veggies make excellent fried rice ingredients.

There really aren't specific amounts of anything. Just chop up what you have or what sounds good.

1 large carrot, diced
1 large celery stalk, sliced small
1/4 of a large onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 handful of green beans, cut about the length of the bell pepper dices
1/2 of a yellow squash, diced
1.5 cups leftover brown rice
1 egg
Sesame Oil
Soy Sauce
Fish Sauce

Heat 1 TBS sesame oil and 1 TBS olive, grapseed, or canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add celery and carrots. Allow them to cook whike you chop the rest of the veggies, since they take a little longer.
  Add veggies, saute until bell pepper is softened.
 Add rice. Allow rice to heat through and get a little crispy, if you like it that way


 When rice is cooked to your liking, make a well in the center, add a drizzle of oil, and crack the egg in the center. Allow the egg to set a little bit, then scramble it and mix it in with the rice.

 Spinkle on some Soy sauce and fish sauce. I realize most people do not have fish sauce in their refrigerators, but I urge you to try it. It is a very inepensive ingredient that does wonders for Asian / Thai style home cooking.


Serve it up with soy sauce. I dished it into lettuce cups, mostly to use the lettuce up, but it really makes a decent vegetarian lettuce wrap.





No comments:

Post a Comment