Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Cream of Broccoli Soup


I know, it is waayyyyy too hot to be eating soup this time of year. That's what I was thinking even as we ate this the other night. I can't help it, I'm a soup person. I wish it were fall year round so I could comfortably enjoy soups and stews whenever I want. Sometimes, though, it's just one of "those" days, and I need a comforting bowl of soup.

I've loved Cream of Broccoli soup ever since I was a little girl. I went to lunch with my Mom and some of her work friends, and we all had soups and salads. My Mom ordered Cream of Broccoli for me, it was love at first spoonful. Whenever we visited that restaurant, that's what I ordered.

You will need:


12 ounces, Frozen Chopped Broccoli

2 cups Chicken Broth

2 Tablespoons Butter

⅓ cups Onion, Chopped

1 clove of garlic, grated

2 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour

⅔ cups Milk

a few pinches of Pepper

salt to taste

Preparation Instructions

In a large pot over medium heat, simmer the broccoli in the broth for 15 minutes. Use a potato masher to smash the broccoli into smaller pieces and thicken the broth.


In a separate skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Then, add the onions  and garlic and saute for 5 minutes or to desired tenderness. Add the flour to the onions and stir well. Heat milk in the microwave for 30 seconds(helps keep the "roux" from clumping) then gradually add the milk and stir until thick. Add this mixture to the broccoli mixture in the pot and stir well. Next, add the cheese, stirring until melted (the heat can be turned off at this point). Finally, add the salt and pepper to taste.

For a broccoli cheddar version, remove the pot from the heat and stir in 1 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese. In the fall, I serve this in bread bowls, as a treat for my hubby.


No comments:

Post a Comment