Monday, July 30, 2012

Spinach and Carmelized Onion Dip

This was so good, I didn't even get a photo of it. I took it to a potluck, it was delicious with crackers. What we had left that didn't fit in my serving dish, Hubby spread on toast with a fried egg for breakfast this morning. Next time you need a dip, try this one. It would go great with veggies too, I might just make some more to go with the carrot sticks and bell pepper slices in my fridge.

1 TBS Olive Oil
1/2 stick Butter
1 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1 block Cream Cheese, softened
1 TBS Dijon Mustard
1 Onion
4 cloves Garlic
1 tsp Pepper
1/2 tsp Salt
10 large basil leaves, minced
1 pkg frozen chopped Spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry

Heat butter and oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Finely mince onion, I shredded mine with my cheese grater. Mince garlic, I grated mine with a microplane zester. Add onion and garlic to skillet after butter has melted. Allow to cook over low heat until caramel in color, stirring occasionally. This took about an hour.

In the meantime, get out a large bowl, add mayo, cream cheese, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and basil. Stir to combine, try to get it nice and smooth. When onions are brown and delicious, add them to the bowl, stir to combine. When all water has been removed from spinach, mix it into the dip. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.



No comments:

Post a Comment