Sunday, August 5, 2012

Salt Potatoes

I'm not sure where this recipe came from, but when I saw it, the name intrigued me enough to try it. The recie is super simple is super simple, but it really upgrades basic boiled potatoes. Salt raises the boiling point of water, so they are cooking at a higher temperature than with plain water. The flesh of the potatoes becomes super creamy. Try it tonight. They go great with Meatloaf or Roast Chicken.

The recipe says to use new red potatoes, but I've used plain 'ol russets, they come out fine. I do try to use potatoes that are about the same size, so they cook evenly.

You will need

3 lbs Potatoes, washed
8 cups water
1 1/4 cups Kosher Salt, Sea Salt, or NON-IODIZED Table Salt

In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add salt, stir. When salt is dissolved, carefully add potatoes. Boil for 20 - 30 minutes, or until tender. Remove from water, place on rack to dry. After about 5 minutes, a delicious salty crust will form on the outside of the potatoes. Serve with butter.



Sometimes I serve these with a simple Herb Butter, I melt butter in the microwave, stir in 1/2 tsp pepper and a few tablespoons of fresh herbs. I love basil on these potatoes, but chive or even garlic butter is divine.



No comments:

Post a Comment