Monday, July 15, 2013

My Favorite Potato Salad


This is my take on my Mom's potato salad. I fully intended to make it her way but I forgot to buy celery and green onions at the store. I also had a ton of fresh dill from my garden waiting to be used. My husband loved it.

Ingredients:
Russet potatoes - 12 large
Bacon - 7 slices
Black Olives - 1 can
Mayo - 1 cup
Dill -  a few handfulls, discard stems
Red Onion - 1/4 cup, chopped
Salt
Pepper

Peel the potatoes then chop into large chunks. Place in a large pot and cover with water, bring to a boil. The potatoes usually take 10-15 minutes. Check the often by piercing with a knife, since over cooked potatoes do not make for good potato salad. Once they are done, drain them and allow them to cool. Cook the bacon until crisp but not overly crunchy, cool and crumble. Slice olives in half lengthwise or into rounds. Pull dill from stems, place in a bowl and use kitchen shears to chop. I just go all at it for about 30 seconds. Stir together mayo, dill, salt and pepper, add onions and olives. Place potatoes in a large bowl and pour the mayo mixture over, stir to combine. Sprinkle crumbled bacon over the top.



No comments:

Post a Comment