Friday, July 12, 2013

French Toast

I am not big on sweet breakfast foods like pancakes or french toast. So if I an going to eat them; they had better be good. I am super picky about both of them, but especially french toast. You won't catch me eating Wonder bread quickly dipped in egg and falling apart. No no. I always thought I didn't like french toast, until I saw Alton Brown make it. I have come up with my own recipe which I like a little better; but I use his method.

The 3 things I learned that I think make all the differnce:

  1. The bread needs to be hearty, I haven't found a sandwich bread that works, so I use a loaf of French bread or challah. It also needs to be a little dried out. I slice it the night before and sit it in the oven overnight. This helps it soak up all of the redge and become nice and custard-like without falling apart. This is the most important step, don't skip it. 
  2. Mix the egg dredge the night before. It speeds things up in the morning, but it also allows it to come together and blend the flavors.
  3. Don't just dip and go straight o the pan. Let it soak up the egg mixture for at least 30 seconds per side. It needs to soak all the way trough to become super yummy and delicius. Otherwise you just have bread covered in fried egg.
Ingredients:

8 thick (1/2 inch) slices of hearty bread such as French, Brioche, or Challah
4 eggs
1 cup whole milk
2 TBS warmed honey (or 2 TBS sugar), both taste great but I like the consistency of the honey better
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
butter for cooking

The Night Before: Slice the bread and lay on the oven racks to dry out over night. Mix the eggs, milk, honey (or sugar), vanilla, and salt in a container. Whish it really well. Place in the fridge overnight.

The Morning Of:

Preheat the oven to 350. Melt 1 TBS of butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Pour the egg mixture into a pie pan or other shallow, wide bowl. Place 2 slices of bread in the egg mixture for 45 seconds per side, make sure it soaks all the way through the bread. Cook for 3 minutes on each side. Place in oven while you repeat these steps on the remaining bread. Serve with syrup and powdered sugar or top with my Apple Cinnamon Compote.

This makes for a scrumptious freach toast; once you try it this way; you won't go back.




No comments:

Post a Comment