Thursday, November 14, 2013

Orzo in Asiago Cream Sauce

I made this for lunch, and it was delicious. If I were serving it for dinner or for company I would add things like sauteed mushrooms, pancetta/ham/bacon, caramelized onion, and a crumb topping. This is a great base recipe that I will definitely use to create more elaborate dishes in the future. You can use any type of pasta you like, I had orzo and lasagna noodles on hand, so I went with orzo. Farfalle (bow ties) would be my first choice.

1 lb dry Pasta, prepared al dente.
1/2 TBS Olive Oil
1 Garlic clove
2 tsp Italian herbs
1 1/2 cups Cream
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/8 tsp Nutmeg
1 cup shredded Asiago cheese
Salt to taste

Optional Baked Topping:
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 Cup shredded Asiago cheese


Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat, chop of grate garlic on zester and add to oil. When the garlic in fragrant, add the herbs. When the garlic is lightly golden, add the cream. Heat through and add the pepper and nutmeg. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Asiago cheese. Taste and add salt accordingly. Serve as is or put it in a casserole dish, combine the Parmesan and Asiago cheeses, sprinkle over the pasta, and pop under the broiler until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly. (Am I the only one who picture Dolly Parton in Steel Magnolias during the Cuppa Cuppa Cake scene when I read the words "golden brown and bubbly"?) Enjoy! I served mine over steamed broccoli in an attempt to feel better about eating pasta, cream, and cheese for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment