Saturday, September 26, 2015

Homemade Boursin-Style Cheese

I must have accidentally deleted the pictures of this recipe. It was so good, I couldn't not share.




Growing up, we had a lot of parties at our house. My Mom frequently put out a box of fancy-shaped crackers and a tub of Alouette or Boursin cheese. I always loved it. Then, a few weeks ago, I was craving some but my store didn't have any of the Garlic Herb flavor (my favorite)! I was also surprised at how expensive a teeny little tub is. Later that night while I was watching Curious George with son, I decided to see if I could find a recipe for it. I thought it woud be similar to the times I've made my own cream cheese. I was very intrigued when I saw how simple the recipe I found was. I even watched a video of Emeril making a batch.

I decided to work with the herbs I had on hand, but I plan to make this again (and again and again) and try  different herbs and herb combinations. This batch is 2 or three times bigger than the store-bought variety and for a grand total of $2.51, it's pretty easy on the pocket book too. I only  had thyme, basil, and oregano on hand, but there are SO many other herbs that would be amazing in this.

Ingredients:

8 oz block of cream cheese, at room temperature
3/4 stick of butter, at room temperature
1 clove of garlic, grated on a microplane
the leaves form 6 stems of thyme
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
a few minches of salt
1/2 tsp of black pepper

I just put everything in my mixer with the whisk attachment and let it go for about 5 minutes, stopping to scrape the sides with a rubber spatula twice. Then I put it in a couple of dishes, covered them with plastic wrap, and put them in the refrigerator to firm up. Then, I devoured it.

And I felt no shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment