Monday, August 17, 2015

Pregnancy Nausea

For the first 10 or so weeks of my pregnancy, I was nauseated all the time. I couldn't find anythign that really helped, and I was throwing up all.the.time. Fast forward to the second trimester, and I am still nauseated from time to time, but I have found a few things that help keep it manageable.

1. Eating smaller, more frequent meals. Having too much on my stomach at once causes me to have nausea and hot flashes. I figured this out a few weeks ago, but that didn't stop me from taking a few too many bites at my brother's birthday dinner last night. I was feeling sick before I could even leave the restaurant, and the feeling lasted a few hours.

2. Avoiding high fat or greasy foods. I have noticed that when I eat fast food, something very cheesy/fatty or even low-quality food (canned raviloli was a MAJOR culprit), I feel incredibly sick for a few hours.

3. Lemon water. Several people told me that rubbing lemon on their upper lip helped quell their nausea. I have always loved to drink lemon water, so I started trying that, and it really helped. I just squeeze the juice of half a lemon into the 20 oz insulated cup I keep on hand to make sure I stay hydrated, and it really helps. I currently have a pitcher of lemon and cucumber infused water in the fridge that also really helps, and it was so very refreshing during those hot flashes I experienced after over-eating last night.

4. Taking a time out. I have to sit down and relax for the nausea to go away. If I keep moving, it does not get better. I have to move a lot for my job, and there are a few hours every day when I feel absolutely miserable because I can't quell the nausea.

These are just some simple things that have helped me. I know there are many, many remedies out there, this is just what I have tried that worked for me. I will update if I find anything new.

No comments:

Post a Comment