Monday, September 23, 2013

Chicken & Vegetable Soup


It is officially FALL! It is my favorite season. Really I love October - December for the weather and all of the festivities and family togetherness. Being outside is actually bearable here in the Fall. Alabama summers are miserable. The humidity kills this California Girl.

I had every intention of making this soup on Sunday, the first day of fall and making cookies to kick off the season. However, as we were standing in the kitchen discussing what kind of cookies we should make, I noticed one of our upper cabinets was nearly falling off the wall. We rushed to clear it out, and it was a race because it was getting worse by the second. It turns out the builders missed the stud on one side when they were screwing it in. So, we spent the evening at the hardware store and repairing and rehanging the cabinet. We had microwave dinner from the frozen aisle of the store. Not my idea of delicious.

However, this stew most definitely IS my idea of delicious.Chock full of veggies and chicken. It warms the soul. I had been feeling a little sick for a few days and this definitely helped. 

Chicken Stew

4 celery ribs, chopped
5 carrots, sliced into coins
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 red potatoes, diced
1 cup frozen peas
6 cups of chicken broth. (Here is my recipe for  Homemade Chicken Stock)
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper
Optional seasonings, I tend to season differently every time, depending on my mood or what I have. Some of my favorites include:
Rosemary, thyme, sage, red pepper flakes, dill

1lb chicken meat

2 TBS oil or fat


Place veggies, bay leaf, desired seasonings, and broth in crockpot. Turn to high.
Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Brown chicken in oil. Add to crockpot. Cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW all day. Remove chicken, chop or shred the meat. Add to stew, check for seasoning, 
and serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment